Fitger Brewing Company
In 1881, Michael Fink built his second brewery in Duluth on Superior St. between East 5th and 6th Aves., naming it the Lake Superior Brewery. Two years later, he took on a young brewmaster, August Fitger, as a partner. In 1885, Michael Fink sold his share in the brewery, and the business operated as A. Fitger & Co., (though the Lake Superior Brewery name was retained).
The first refrigerator machine in the state of Minnesota was installed at the brewery in 1890, and by the turn of the century, other improvements and expansions enabled sales to reach 100,000 barrels per year.
In 1906, the brewery was incorporated as the Fitger Brewing Company and continued as such until 1972, when competition forced the doors to close. The building now houses a mall.